Ever since MumInTheMadhouse did her Black and Decker Steam Mop review I’ve been wanting a steam mop myself. But reading the reviews on the one she had gotten ment I’ve decided against that one.
So I did some more research and decided on the Dirtdevil Aqua Clean steam mop M318.
I’ve been mopping the floors the old-fashioned way ever since we moved in about 18 months ago. But the kitchen floor, which is tiled, was getting dirty, especially around the cooking area. That’s the main reason I wanted a steam mop.
The other reason is that with our cats, there’s bound to be bacteria all over the floor. Despite my efforts, I still haven’t managed to get them to clean their paws when they leave the litter tray…
But having only 4 tiled floors in the whole house made me a bit of a cheap skate. I’ve spent over 200 euro on a vacuum cleaner after we moved. I didn’t want to spend another large sum on a piece of cleaning material. That’s one of the reasons I chose the Dirt Devil. The other reasons were that it’s light, easy to manoeuver and it’s quiet. All according to the reviews I read. So is it true? Yes, it is.
What I liked:
- It’s easy to use, even if you don’t want to read the manual.
- It’s light.
- You don’t need chemicals. You may want to, but it’s not a necessity.
- It heats up pretty quick, mine is ready to use in 45 seconds. Which may seem long to some of you, but I always forget to move thing beforehand, so I can do it in the time it needs to heat up.
- It’s easy to store, I’ve put it under the stairs next to the vacuum cleaner (which is a lot harder to get in and out of there than the Dirt Devil).
- The triangular footpad means I can get in the corners as well.
What I didn’t like:
- The button is hard to keep pushed. I have a condition in my hands which means I can’t hold on to things for a very long time. This button made my hands hurt a lot. I might need to place a piece of string around it to make it easier.
- The cord is relatively short and gets in the way when using the steam mop.
So, all in all a good steam mop for a small price (we paid 66 euro for it).
Note that we bought this steam mop. It hasn’t been given to me for a review, nor has Dirtdevil asked me for this review.